Today is of no particular note--at least, none that I am aware. I'm sure that if I were to search the world round I would find countless birthdays, numerous anniversaries, a disgusting amount of deaths, and a fair few desperate hopes for the day ahead. Of course, being the selfish human creature that I am, I don't particularly care for any birthday outside my own. (Well, and also my best friend's.) I am not a fan of what people claim to be love, therefore anniversaries hold no importance with me. At a death I might stop, but I fear I would give little compassion. So it goes. I've seen too much of that. As for desperate hopes? Oh, I would smile at those.
That odd introduction aside, today I shall play the part of a person who actually updates her life. (This is a strange role, and I wonder my purpose. Do I do this because I fear I will forget? Oh, but then I could use a pen and some paper. Do I do it then in the hopes of someone finding it? That is strange hope. More studies must be done on my part. So it goes.)
If anyone has not been catching the reference, I have Kurt Vonnegut in my head. It is my friend's fault. She asked me if something was from Cat's Cradle or Slaughterhouse Five. So it goes.
As far as writing, I fear I am stuck somewhere within the second chapter. It is not, in this case, that I do not know where I am going. I simply lack the motivation to write anything. (It's a disgusting habit, I know.) However, I have found a decent spot for an excerpt. (I really do love excerpts. Even just the word itself.)
They had stopped kicking the soccer ball, most likely a while ago. Ethan was leaning against the back of her house, legs stretched out in front of him, and Lena was lying on the ground diagonal to him. It looked like they were sleeping until she saw Lena tossing a ball into the air. Sometimes she wondered why they came to these things, not that she wasn't glad to see them.
"Food," she announced when she was close enough to slide down next to them. "Sit up and eat."
Lena moaned and hugged the ball she'd been tossing to her chest, "No, no moving. Don't have the energy."
"It's strenuous activity, really," Ali mocked as Ethan reached for a plate eagerly.
Lena kicked a foot out towards her friend but missed. Alison only laughed in response and Lena pushed herself up from the ground. "Energy, please," she intoned, holding her hands out tiredly. Alison obliged her, slipping the remaining plate of food into her outstretched hands.
It doesn't really tell you much about the story itself, but I like this snippit. I'm not sure why.
I was intending to say more, but I can't recall what it was. . .
1 comment:
It appears to just be one of those days, for many people. I'd like to blame the approaching end of summer, for drained energy and motivation. For, of course, it is never actually my fault.
This may be odd, but your excerpt reminds me of the two people currently causing me the most emotional distress (after myself, for I beat on myself constantly because I let them cause me such problems.)
Oh, and for an expanded version of my attempt, catch me on the book of face^^.
Post a Comment