Nov 1, 2010

Morality

I find I have a very different morality and thought process from the legions of people in my school. It is not a day in my public speaking class that I don't bring forth both expressions of shock and horror. However, I cannot believe this is bad. Indeed, it is so easy to alarm them.

Perhaps I should choose my topics more wisely, for fear of gaining enemies, but that simply wouldn't be fun. After all, what is more enjoyable than delivering a speech about a pet peeve of the degradation of the English language? To a class full of hoodlums that probably don't understand the meaning of "degradation" (or a sentence without the alleged contraction "ain't", for that matter).

Today, however, the topic was not of my control. Today was an impromptu--a note card that had merely "relationships" scribbled on it. Clearly, this was a broad subject. But, no worries, how could a person possibly alarm a roomful of hormonal teenagers with this subject?

Apparently, acknowledging that you're against relationships is not a good start if you wish to avoid shock and terror. Approaching their cyclic and inevitably painful nature will arouse dirty looks. And some get offended if you bring up that it's merely a comfort and thus homosexuals shouldn't be treated so harshly.

Oh, but where is my guilt?

I fear I enjoy far too much getting a rise out of people. All the same, it is a wonder that many of them insist upon calling me nice. I wish to rectify this mistake, but even I would not push so far on school grounds. Thus, I shall correct it here:

Kind? Do not misguide yourself so foolishly. My beliefs in your eyes would be cruel and I act in accordance to them.

Perhaps I do not support war, but not because it is war--do not group me with such an ignorant harm. No, I am against it because it is a bunch of innocents fighting other innocents, killing others as they fight someone else's battle. It is a group of politicians from various countries who fail to respect one another. And perhaps I would not stand for a war, but nor would I allow any of the cowards who fought it to live.

Oh, the twisting sense of morality. The evolution, or de-evolution. What's your morality?

No comments: