Mar 12, 2011

React

I wonder, do we only react to things when under surveillance? If we were alone when hearing of something, would we care? Or would we need someone it effected deeply around to make us feel guilty?

We're certainly selective with the things we choose to care about. On the news, for example, after releasing information about the various horrific things that have happened to Japan within the last forty-eight hours and the high number known to be dead, they mention how fantastic that none of the Americans there are reported dead. Yes, people of America, rejoice, for many people have died, but at least none of them are from your country.

Perhaps that wasn't meant to be so disgusting to me. Perhaps it was meant to be a sort of reassurance for some with family there, but it sounds so caustic. As if all of those lives don't even equivocate one American life.

I wonder, how easily can we forget something and deem it as unimportant? Something that won't directly affect us, so why even pretend to care?

I wonder, because I knew something of magnitude. It was spoken to only me, and I knew that it was not something good, that a great deal of things could come of it. But I didn't react, I just moved forward in the conversation. But then, when something unpleasant came of it and I was explained the situation by someone else, I carried out the motions of coming to terms with it. I took part in the conversations just the same as everyone else.

So which reaction, or lack thereof, is true? And what do we do when nothing is expected of us?

No comments: