Is that what you meant?
When I waved you off indifferently.
Did your eyes feel heavy with sleep
Despite a fuller night than ever before?
Your voice was muted, I recall
You seemed calm to me then.
Less angered,
Was it something more?
Did you feel anger, listlessly inside?
A biting snarl, but too weak to emit it.
Is that loneliness that churns my stomach?
Or could it be hunger already?
Could this be what you meant?
But foolish me, I ignored you.
Not very uplifting, is it? But I fear I feel hopelessly detached this year. I keep moving, but most of the time it is without truly seeing. My eyes are open but the images blur together and I muffle out the sound.
I have not naturally strung more than three sentences together, side by side, in quite some time. Someone I know mistook this new-found solemnity of mine for a calmness, but I am still easily angered. I simply cannot find the energy to show it.
For a while now I have felt that I am condemned to forever repeat the same back and forth with someone that I dread seeing. Lines of disappointment, guilt and anger with someone I may have once considered a friend. Now I wonder if she ever could have qualified for something so prestigious. Her face litters my nightmares. She'll say something and I will not respond, for I can no longer think of anything to say to her. Standing near her takes an effort I was not before aware existed. She pushes off the past so easily, but I can not. Instead of a glint in the air, I imagine a knife in my skin, what could have been. I wonder if I'm in the wrong to ignore her, and no one else can seem to answer me.
I am told I look tired, but I've been sleeping sometimes more than nine hours each night despite once understanding myself to be a bit of an insomniac.
I wonder how I could have let things so simple or so old get into my head like this.
1 comment:
Our situations are different and yet similar at the same time.
As I tell myself on multiple occasions each day, you are not wrong. You are looking after yourself. Civility (sp?) is fine, but at the end of the day, you know what hurts and what doesn't. You know what has hurt you in the past, and what hasn't.
Post a Comment