I like who I am.
I'm a bit of a mess. I procrastinate too much and have taken the lazy route a few too many times. I have yet to discover what I ought to do in life or what I want from this existence. I'm confused about having spent a large portion of my life enamored with English only to discover that it's a disgusting joke beyond eleventh grade education. I'm often crass and judgmental, not to mention quick to rage.
But I am proud of who I am. I refuse to lie. I have good morals and I know what is important to me. And I'm intelligent. I may not be comparable to my valedictorian and salutatorian, but I am not daft. I will not be limited to a certain trade or low wage job in the future. While I may not know what I want to do, I know that I truly am not limited.
I am not the sort to wear a pink thong with a white dress. I am not the person from whom you would expect thievery or deceit.
I say this because we all have so many chances to be someone else. If we had not met this person or if we had not visited that place. . . I don't know how many different people I could be. I only know who I am now, but I can imagine the sort of person I would be without having met my best friend. Maybe you can too?
I could so easily have been the sort of person I hate. I could so easily have stopped caring when I wasn't at the top of my class, when I needed a speech teacher and still couldn't read. I could still be mindlessly following a belief system without bothering to sort out my own opinions and beliefs. I could even be whorish.
I am who I am primarily because of my best friend.
Who molded you? Do you even know anymore? And if it had been someone else, do you think you'd like who you became?
1 comment:
I was moulded by being needed, being the oldest, and becoming the care giver.
I've had kids scorn me and best friends stab me in the back. I've grown to love my beliefs and thrived on being the leader.
Basically, I've become a schmuck to protect myself, which has a tendency to drive people away and scare the opposite gender. I fear not being accepted by my peers.
Teach me to be proud of myself.
Post a Comment